Colin Macdonald Community School
As you explore our website, you will gain a greater insight into what makes Colin Macdonald Community School such a wonderful place.
As Dr Maria Montessori said, “We do not prepare the child for school but for life.” Come and take a closer look.
MONTESSORI AND TRADITIONAL SCHOOLING
The goal of both Montessori and Traditional schooling is the same: To provide learning experiences for the child. The biggest differences lie in the kind of learning experiences each school provides and the methods they use to accomplish this goal. Montessori educators believe both differences are important because they help shape what a child learns, his work habits, and his future attitudes toward himself and the world around him.
Colin Macdonald Community School is a community school located in West Hamilton, Ontario.
- multi-aged classrooms.
- experienced teachers who are qualified, dedicated and innovative.
- a Montessori “Casa” which provides a purposeful alternative to traditional pre-school programmes.
- a learning environment that allows children to develop their skills through natural curiousity and exploration.
- individualized programming embracing a diversity of learning styles,
- the cultivation of strong basic academic skills directed at the child’s individual level.
- an emphasis on experiential, co-operative and creative learning,
- non-graded classrooms stressing peer teaching and respect for self and others.
In addition we offer:
- Music and Creative Movement
- Visual and Dramatic Arts
- Physical and Natural Science
- Design and Technology
- World Studies
- Physical and Health Education
- Life Skills
- Environmental Studies
We also make use of community resources, both natural and human. Camping, field trips, library visits, swimming, visits to area businesses, hikes and caring for a local trail are all a part of the student’s lives. What we learn in the small community of the classroom applies to and draws upon that larger community to which we belong.
Years in business
“Selecting the best school to meet the needs of your child, and family is one of the most important decisions you will make. My experience as both an educator and a parent, is that visiting the school and taking a tour during the school day is the best way to determine if your child, your family, and the school are a perfect fit for one another. This gives you an opportunity to see the classrooms and the interactions between students and their peers as well as students and teachers.
At Colin Macdonald Community School we believe children need confidence in themselves as learners, tools so they can find the answers to their questions themselves, preparation for life long learning, and in general, a learner-centred approach rather than one that is curriculum driven. It is being increasingly recognized that students learn better when they have real responsibility for their own education. At Colin Macdonald Community School we allow that to happen.
As you explore our website, you will gain a greater insight into what makes Colin Macdonald Community School such a wonderful place. As Dr Maria Montessori said, “We do not prepare the child for school but for life.”
Come and take a closer look.
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR A SCHOOL?
CURRENTLY ACCEPTING REGISTRATION FOR
THE 2022/2023 SCHOOL YEAR